Alpha #10 won't just be Turbo-Mode

Details of features as they're being worked on or discussed internally.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
forum
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Alpha #10 won't just be Turbo-Mode

Postby forum » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:23 am

I've been sidetracked from the "Turbo Mode" project (compiler) as I wanted to fix some modules before going through the trouble of turbo-izing them. Example was the Filter, which was the first actual signal-processing code I ever wrote and totally sucked. Instead I rebased it on the MultiFilter, but simplified, and further figured out how to state the resonance peak in decibels if you want, instead of just arbitrary numbers like "3.2" or "40" or what have you.

The Stored Waveform Oscillator (SWO) now has the ability to smoothly morph from Sawtooth to Triangle, while avoiding aliasing, just as the simple Oscillator did (albeit with aliasing).

The benefits are 1) you can make a sawtooth with just a bit less edge, 2) a triangle with a bit more richness, or 3) do similar types of things to pulse wave modulation albeit based around sawtooths instead of square waves.

I've also added a Parabolic waveform to the SWO, which is a milder Sawtooth, in the exact same way a Triangle is a milder Square. I think this should be like one of the main basic waveforms but I haven't actually seen it supported on other synths ever.

Now that I've made some long-desired improvements in the basic modules, I'll go back to the Turbo Mode (compiler) project. At the moment, it basically supports the module types: Global, Note, Channel, Voice, Patch, Tuning, and... Oscillator.

In short, I've got seven modules working under Turbo Mode, but the only one that actually makes sound. I'll be adding Filter, MultiFilter, Delay, and SWO very soon. I think there are no barriers to doing ALL the modules that do audio-frequency data right now.

I want to make further performance modifications to Envelope and LFO before I do the Turbo Mode work on them, though. (Basically, these modulation sources are currently evaluated every sample, just as audio signals are, but that is overkill. I want to change it so they can evaluate say every 8, 16, 32 samples or whatever and in the meantime simply coast at set rates. It will actually make non-Turbo Mode a lot faster as well. But it will be a big project.)

Return to “Developer's Blog”